CARPET CARE TIPS AND SPOT REMOVAL TIPS
Regular maintenanceTo keep your carpets looking their best, it is recommended that you vacuum your carpets twice a week for two people, or more frequently if you have heavier traffic, the more the better. Use a good quality vacuum cleaner. Remove shoes when entering the house and wear sock or slippers.
Professional Carpet Cleaning
New carpet warrantees require cleaning every twelve to eighteen months to keep them valid. The best approach is regular maintenance, where high used areas and traffic lanes, are cleaned frequently (every three to six months). The less used carpet areas, such as bedrooms etc., are cleaned less often. Your carpet will last years longer and your home will be healthier.
Cleaning Spills and Removing Spots
Most people do not know the difference between spots and stains. Spots are caused by a foreign material, that is present on or around a fibre. Stains are caused by dies from a foreign material absorbed into the fibre, and they can stay with you forever.
Regularly, we are able to safely remove permanent stains with our new specialized stain removers, but not always, and it can be costly. It is safer and less costly to act immediately. Most stains that are allowed to dry over night, will become more difficult to remove. This also applies to hot tee, and especially coffee as they become heat set, so whenever possible, always deal with spills as soon as they happen.
Spot Removal Tips
- Blot up any surface liquid, or in the case of a spill with solids, carefully remove as much of the solids with a spoon.
- Use Action ChemDry’s professional spot remover to address spots, or cold water/ club soda to dampen the whole spot area.
- Using the bottom of a spoon as you agitate the Action ChemDry solution on and around the spot area.
- With the cleaning cloth, (white terry cloth works best), apply pressure and blot up the liquid. Never rub the stain, or you could permanently damage the carpet or fabric.
- It may be necessary to repeat the process several times on particularly stains. While turning the towel to a clean section, and checking for transfer of staining material.
- For large wet stains, when transfer no longer occurs, fold the clean towel into a pad, place on area , and weight with books or other heavy objects to force remaining moisture into the towel.
Emergency Stains and Spills
There are some stains and spills that are impossible for you, the householder, to address. The ChemDry professional has the knowledge, equipment and solutions necessary to remove most stubborn stains. We therefore recommend that in the event of such an emergency, the following procedure will minimize damage. Here the things that you should do:
- Act immediately before the spills or stains spread too far or penetrate the fibre
- Scrape up as much as possible with a spoon
- Always work towards the centre of the spillage to avoid spreading
- Blot up liquids with a clean cloth towel or paper towel
- Use plain warm water to dampen and blot the spill without rubbing
- Keep the spill/stain moist with a little water, and keep a damp cloth over the area until help arrives
- Call Action ChemDry immediately